Since becoming a certified carbon neutral company, we’ve had the chance to meet with Heidi Fog. As an experienced sustainability professional, she shares here with us her easy tips to reduce our ecological footprint.
“Apart from saving money on buying packaging, which will eventually end in the waste bin, I also avoid having to put the bins out more than once a month. When a truck starts and stops it pollutes 48 time more than if it was going at a steady speed, which in theory means I avoid 48 trucks going past my house each week.
- We receive no junk mail (local paper excluded)
- We shop at the supermarket once a 14-night. When we run out bad luck, just got to wait a couple of days for the next shopping to come around. This keeps impulse buys down and gets rid of leftovers.
- We do not eat many biscuits (1 pack a month if that and have you notice how these are getting more and more packaged?)
- We shop at the fruit and veg once a week, using no bags except for grapes, potatoes and mushrooms.
- We do not buy finished products, such as fish fingers as fish fillets from the fish shop and breadcrumbs lasts longer, tastes better and are cheaper.
- We hardly do take away, as it takes 10 minutes to make a pizza. But we eat out once a 14-night.
- We bake bread around 2-3 times a week, by hand and into the oven. Costs about 30 cents – 1.20 a loaf.
- Our veggie garden is 40 m2; hence a lot of produce comes unpackaged from here.
- All food scraps (except cooked food) goes to the compost bin/chickens.
- Left over cooked food gets heated up or goes in a salad for lunch.
- We do not drink bottled water or soft drinks.
- Olive oil is purchased in 4 litre tins, poured into smaller container a bit at a time.
- No use of foil or glad wrap for anything. A lunchbox which fits a sandwich, so it does not gets shaken about or an aluminium tray upside down over food in the oven works just as well and saves you money.”
This list was put together by: Heidi Fog. Carbon Reduction Institute Australia. http://noco2.com.au
Sigue aquí el blog en español.